top of page

Genene Jones: The Second Part of The Trilogy

Despite all of her talents, the number of warnings she had been receiving was increasing. On her ninth mistake in 12 months, the hospital management punished her for a repetition of a lecture on drugs. In addition to the blotted copybook of hers, there were also compliments given by the head nurse. On the days of missing nurses, Genene had additional guards that lasted 24 hours. One day, although she was on surveillance, she entered the hospital drunk, trying to do something to a little girl. Genene was barely restrained. She was delirious, nonstop saying that only she can understand the little girl’s crisis. This incident was whitewashed by the head nurse.

She had adopted a rude and patronizing attitude towards her co-workers. She used to scold them, loud insults were heard outside the rooms. She also didn't mind that she was hierarchically below, and she advocated what she knew true against the doctors. But against the head nurse, she had the perfect image. She was such an angel to the patients’ families: Establishing unnecessary bonds with patients, she was crying with their families when her patients’ died. With her victims' families.

The deaths of sick babies in Genene's care were continuously increasing, but Genene was becoming more and more famous over time. Now, she had been only given to patients in the worst situations. She described it as “exciting” in her own words. Although her high-rankings loved her, she was gaining the suspicion of her colleagues. When someone tried to question her, she said that they were slandering her. She threatened them, she was saying that she would take actions against nurses who had reported her.

However, one of her colleagues was not afraid of her threats. Another nurse prepared the chart of the patients who died in the last 3 months and delivered it to the hospital management. In the last 3 months, 43 babies had died, 22 of them were in Genene's care. In addition, 7 babies died while under Genene's voluntary care. At this point, her deficits were exceeding the compliments of the head nurse. Except that, the hospital management had been warned by their lawyers that if they opened an investigation for the death of the babies that were in Genene’s care and couldn’t collect enough evidence, Genene could sue them for damages. The hospital management decided not to open an investigation, instead forcing Genene to resign. Genene left the hospital peacefully. On her way from the hospital, a note of "fit for reemployment" was written on her record.

Catherine Holland, who is a new doctor in town, announced that she will open a clinic in the city. She not only hired Genene, but also moved into the same house with Genene and her two children. After a few months of waiting for the clinic to open, in August 1982, Genene started working at Dr. Holland’s clinic. Only one patient came to the clinic on the opening day: Chelsea, who was born 4 months premature, suffering from respiratory failure. Chelsea was born at St. Antonio Hospital before she was 6 months in the womb and was suffering from respiratory diseases. She was discharged after being in an incubator for several weeks. She was 14 months old when she arrived at Dr. Holland's clinic. She had been having trouble breathing again recently. Chelsea didn't sit still as Dr. Holland was questioning Chelsea's mother, Betty. Genene had told Patty she could stall Chelsea if she wanted to. With Patty's approval, Genene grabbed Chelsea and led her into the examination room. A few minutes later, Dr. Holland was distracted by voices from the room: “Don't go to sleep, Chelsea, wake up. Don't sleep baby."

Dr. Holland was confused. She was wondering how the baby was going to sleep, because the baby was trying to escape from its mother's arms just three minutes ago. Neglectingly, she tried to focus her attention on what Patty was saying. Before long, Genene, slightly alarmed, found Dr. Holland and asked her to come to the examination room. When Dr. Holland came into the room, she found Chelsea lying unconscious. “She is having a seizure, her breathing has stopped.” said Genene calmly. Dr. Holland immediately began intubation procedures. At that time, Genene, with remarkable slowness, was handing equipments to Dr. Holland. Doctor thought to herself how cool Genene was in such a situation and thought she had chosen the right nurse. Genene quickly found Chelsea's vein and injected the chemical to start her breathing again. After a few minutes, Chelsea stabilized and rushed to St. Peterson Hospital. None of the tests could provide a logical explanation for this crisis.

The next day, 3-year-old Brandy came to the clinic because her stool was bloody. Dr. Holland sent the mother and daughter to St. Peterson Hospital. But before going to the hospital, she asked Genene to give the girl an intravenous line to take some samples, so that the test could be run faster when they arrived at the hospital. She went to call to report the transfer to the hospital, leaving the girl alone with Genene. When she came back to the room, she saw Brandy in a really bad condition. She was bruised on her face, toes, and heels. She had to urgently transport the girl, whose breathing was slowing down, to the hospital. Brandy, whose respiration was stabilized at St. Peterson Hospital, had to be transferred to St. Antonio Hospital because none of the tests could explain Brandy’s crisis. Brandy would be accompanied by Genene and two other nurses of the hospital during the road. Dr. Holland, who would get nauseous in an ambulance, decided to escort the ambulance with her car. Brandy had no visible problem before they got into the ambulance. But, suddenly, in the middle of the road, Brandy's heart stopped. The ambulance pulled over and Dr. Holland got out of her car. After giving her CPR for a while, her heart started beating again. On the way, the nurses were in a panic. But Genene was trying to stabilize the patient by using unconventional methods. One of the other nurses said of Genene, “She was pretty aggressive. She was somehow dominating us. She knew what she was doing and was confident.”. Along the way, Genene barked orders at them and hardly got Brandy to the hospital safely.

In the following weeks, Chelsea came back to the clinic for a checkup. Her mother, Patty, was relieved when Dr. Holland said that the girl was doing well. But the girl had to have two vaccinations. Dr. Holland told Genene to vaccinate the girl and left the room. Genene said softly to Betty, "I think it's best if you leave the room. I'm sure no mother wants to see her daughter get hurt.". But Genene couldn't resist when Patty said she still wanted to stay in the room with her daughter. Later, in court, Betty said of this moment: “She was somehow bothered. I couldn't understand.". Chelsea's condition had visibly worsened after Genene gave her the first dose of the vaccine. Her eyes were squinting, her breathing slowed. Patty told Genene to stop, but Genene shook her head with the second needle in her hand. "I am sorry. I have to do the second one, I can't stop right now." she whispered. What happened before was repeated. The girl fell unconscious and was taken by ambulance to St. Peterson Hospital. Just like Brandy, Chelsea’s heart suddenly stopped on the road. The ambulance pulled to the right, Genene had begun CPR. But it was too late for everything. Chelsea was already dead. Genene wrapped the little girl's body in a blanket and pressed it to her chest. She sobbed until they reached the nearest hospital.

Dr. Holland had no idea what was happening. While the oldest doctor in their city had encountered pediatric respiratory arrest only once in his 40-year career, Dr. Hollands’ clinic

had at least one pediatric respiratory arrest since it had opened. Genene Jones drew strength from this: Dr. Holland was inexperienced. It was not easy for her to open her eyes about what had happened. This allowed Genene to move more freely around her victims, she could play with her prey. But Genene was unaware of the anesthesiologist working at St. Peterson Hospital who will be an end to her ruthless massacres.

Son Yazılar

Hepsini Gör


bottom of page